August 31, 2015

Single Serve Peach Crisp

Hello everyone, today I thought I would go with a light topic after my last few posts. With summer slowly crawling to a close there are some new fruits in season, namely peaches. For some reason the only time I really want peaches is in the dead of winter, so this year I decided I wanted to buy and freeze some. That way when I had a hankering for a peach dessert in January, I would have the peaches in my freezer already.

But before I was able to get the peaches in the freezer, they slowly disappeared into my stomach. It's not my fault that they were so yummy. Before I knew it I only had four left, not really worth my time to go through the freezing process. So I decided that a very small peach crisp would hit the spot. I found a recipe for a double serving at The Baker Upstairs as a starting point and adapted it to fit what I had and wanted.


Small Serving Peach Crisp                                                                           

Filling:
4 medium peaches, skins removed and large diced
1 tsp flour                                                1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp white sugar                                     

Topping:
2 tbsp brown sugar                                   1 1/2 tbsp oats
3 tsp flour                                                1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 tsp butter 

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray one small dish or two very small dishes (like ramekins) with cooking spray and set aside. I have these shallow dishes that are about twice the size of a normal ramekin that I thought would work.

2. In a small bowl toss all the filling ingredients together until evenly coated. If using two dishes, divide the peach mixture between them. 


In the same bowl combine the first four topping ingredients and mix until combined. Cut in the butter until clumped together. Divide the topping and crumble over the peaches.

  3. Bake 15 minutes or until topping is golden brown.

This peach crisp really hit the spot. I would definitely double the topping next time though, wasn't quite as crispy as I would have liked. That being said I really could have fit all of the dessert into one of my containers. Maybe next time.

The great thing about this recipe is that it gives you a place to start to make any type of crisp you would like! You could substitute the peaches for apples, raspberries, blueberries or any combination of fruit. As well you can change the flavouring too by adding a little honey instead of the full amount or in place of the sugar. This works because it is such a small amount to experiment with. If you don't like the combination you aren't wasting a ton of food, just a little bit.

What's your favourite crisp? This peach crisp was pretty good but apple crisp still has my heart. It also happens to be Luis' favourite type of crisp too. I think I have a few apple crisps in my future.

Kerby

No comments:

Post a Comment