March 6, 2015

Chicken Taquitos

Hey there, holy what a few weeks we have had over here. Braxton caught the flu, so we caught it as well. It was the first time he has really been sick, so it was a fun new experience. Nothing like your child waking up at 1am with a fever of 102 out of no where. Then he decided it was the perfect time to get two molars as well. Poor little guy was out of it for days. But everyone has recovered nicely and we are just getting back to normal.

But it did mean that I got absolutely nothing done for literally two weeks except snuggling and watching Braxton's favourite shows. I mean, I'm not going to complain because I love me some snuggles, but the house. Oh my the house was a disaster. We got everything under control in the last few days so hopefully I will be able to get some fun things done here for you guys (and for myself!).

I did want to share an easy dinner recipe that is great for when you do not have a ton of time to prepare or spend cooking, but you want more than Kraft dinner. It's for chicken taquitos, and only requires a few ingredients and about a half hour.




Chicken Taquitos                                                                                        

2 chicken breast (boneless, skinless)
8-12 small flour tortillas
1 1/2 cups marble cheese
1 tbsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin


First I  combined the spices in a small container and mixed until they were well combined. Then I cut my chicken breasts in half like a fillet. I don't own a meat pounder, so this was my choice to make the chicken nice and thin. This makes the cooking time much faster. Rub each side of the chicken with the spice mixture and cook over medium-high heat in a skillet until cooked through (I used cooking spray in my pan):



Transfer the chicken to a plate or cutting board to cool for a few minutes. Use this time to line a baking sheet with tinfoil and spray generously with cooking spray and preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Once the chicken has cooled enough that you can handle it without burning your fingerprints off you will want to shred the chicken.

I prepared a workstation with my cheese, chicken and tortilla shells. The prepared baking tray ready to go beside:



You will want to add about 2 tablespoons of chicken and 1 tablespoon of cheese to each tortilla. You can add more or less depending on your preference, but this seemed to be the best ratio for us:




Then wrap the shell up nice and tight and place seam side down on the baking tray. Continue until you either run out of chicken or tortilla shells:


Spray with more cooking spray and bake at 400 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes, until they start to brown. 

You can top these with cheese, which I have done before. It just makes them super cheesy and gooey. You can also add more spices, like onion powder, garlic powder or up your cayenne pepper to make these spicy little guys. With my restrictions, this is about as crazy as I can get.

Now serve with salsa and sour cream. Yum.



Do you guys have an easy go to recipes for when you have no time to cook? Feel free to share.

Kerby 

Linking to:
I Heart Naptime - Link Party Palooza #85 
A Handful of Everything - Great Idea Thursdays #89 
Cookin and Crafin - My Two Favorite Things Thursday #10 

1 comment:

  1. Yum!! Love Mexican Food!! Thanks or sharing on My 2 Favorite Things On Thursday!! Hope you come back!! love having!! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete