December 22, 2014

My First a Month as a Stay at Home Mom

I cannot believe that a month had past since my first day of work was supposed to start. This amazing life with my little man is just racing by, and some days I wish I could stop time and snuggle with him all day. I have to admit, I never thought I would be this lucky. To have the opportunity to stay at home with my child as he grows up. 

It's no secret that I have wanted to for a very long time. Luis must have been just sick of my little comments about how many cookies I would bake him, or amazing dinners I could cook. It's funny to look back and realize how silly I was to think that I would have so much free time. Everyone thinks that as their child gets older, they will get more free time. In a way that's true, but it's not what you think. At least it is not what I thought. Braxton is great at entertaining himself as long as you are in the room with him. That doesn't allow for a lot to get done when I am confined to a room or two. I've started getting creative and finding things for him to do in different rooms. Creativity is a wonderful thing when you want to make dinner or put laundry away.


That being said, I've learned a few things over the last 30 days about Braxton, myself and this house:

1. Toddlers have bad days too. And holy crap does Braxton ever have bad days. I'm not sure if it's because he didn't sleep enough the previous night, or because he's been teething on and off for a few weeks. Maybe he woke up on the wrong side of the crib? But some days my goal is to survive until bedtime. 

2. Animals and babies are not always a great mix. We have two dogs and two cats. Worst.idea.ever. I spend about half of my time cleaning up after and feeding Braxton, and the other half doing the same for the animals. The amount of hair I clean up ever day is mind boggling. Seriously, I cannot believe that my animals are not bald from hair loss with the amount that gets vacuumed up every morning.



3. You are never done baby proofing your house. Just when you think you're done, they decide that they can reach things higher up now. Braxton has started grabbing things off the counter if they are too close to the edge. Or they decide that things they have never even looked at before might be fun to play with now. Shoes, pillows, dog toys, none are safe.



4. Temper tantrums happen earlier than you think they do. Braxton has started having them when we take something away or stop him from getting into things. The first time he did this I just stared at him and thought, "really?". I try my best not to laugh honestly, hopefully that doesn't make me a horrible person. He's quickly learning that getting mad and throwing a fit isn't going to get him very far.

5. It's amazing how quickly you can adapt to change. I was always a morning person before and always had trouble falling asleep. Now, not so much. I loved mornings because they were my quiet time, where I got things done. Mornings around here can be the craziest part of the day with animals that need their potty break/breakfast and a cranky baby. I am starting to love my quiet evenings. And as soon as my head hits the pillow I am out like a light, sleep when you can right?. 


Anyone else learn new things everyday while taking care of their kids, or watching other peoples? Learn things about yourself? Feel free to share.

Kerby

No comments:

Post a Comment