November 12, 2014

slower cooker baked apples


Hey everyone, today I want to share an easy dessert idea that I found. I would consider this a healthier version of apple crisp, and it is pretty tasty. I found the recipe at Sidetracked Sarah. It's an easy and yummy recipe, that younger kids can help with if they want!




I changed a few things, because why not? But still, the easiest recipe ever is:

Slow Cooker Baked Apples                                                                  
6-8 apples of any kind (I used golden delicious)
1/2 cup oats (I used quick oats)
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 tsp cinnamon
Butter
Coarse sugar (I used turbinado sugar)

1. Hollow out apple cores, leaving the bottom attached. The original recipe said to use a knife, but seeing as I like having ten fingers, I used an apple corer and a melon baller.



2. Mix oats, brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Stuff into apples (using whatever means works, including spilling everywhere and scooping it back up).


3. Once all the filling is in the apples, top each with a slice of butter. I just tried to make them all the same size. Top with turbinado sugar.


4. Cook in your slow cooker for 2-3 hours on high, or cook on low for 4-5 hours like me. I think you are better off with the shorter cooking time, as I think mine were a little too cooked.

5. Then cool a little and enjoy!


Or, if you are anything like me, why not make it ever better and top them with some whipped cream and cinnamon!


We found that the skins were a little tough, so we just ended up scooping the middle out and leaving the skins. Still so good! And hopefully a little healthier for you, as you can substitute the butter and omit all the yummy toppings (I mean, if you wanted to).

Now go use your slow cookers and make some yummy baked apples! Let me know how they turn out!

Kerby 

Linking to: 
Someday Crafts - Whatever Wednesdays #247
A Handful of Everything - Great Idea Thursdays #74 
I Heart Naptime - Link Party Palooza #67 
Six Sister's Stuff - Strut Yourself Saturday #173 
It's So Very Cheri - Party Time 11-16-2014 
Nap-Time Creations - Create, Link, Inspire #4 

No comments:

Post a Comment