November 8, 2014

italian wedding soup

Hey there, today I wanted to share a new recipe I tried that I found on Pinterest. The Hubby loves Italian Wedding soup, but it's really hard for me to order because it has onions and/or garlic in it. So I thought I would give it a try, that way maybe we both could have some.

I found a recipe at Just a Pinch Recipes that seemed easy enough for a novice soup maker to handle. But of course, I had to change it up a little to account for the missing ingredients. 

It didn't turn out quite as pretty as the original soup did, but it tasted pretty darn good.



Here is my version of the soup:

Italian Wedding Soup                                                                                  
2 tsp olive oil
1 pkg frozen spinach
2 eggs
3 tbsp Parmesan cheese 
6 cups chicken broth
1 cup tubetti pasta
1 lb mini meatballs
Salt, black pepper & white pepper to taste

1. First thing I did was cook my meatballs per the package instructions in the oven




2. Next I put the olive oil in a preheated pot and added the spinach, cooking it until it was wilted and warmed through. I added salt, black pepper and white pepper to the spinach and poured in the broth. Bring to a boil.




3. Once boiling, I added the pasta. I chose the tubetti pasta on the soul reason that it was the smallest pasta at my grocery store that I could find. I don't think I would use it again, as it was just too big in the soup.



4. Boil pasta for one less minute then al dente (per package instructions), and add the precooked meatballs. Boil for an additional 1-2 minutes for the meatballs to heat up.

5. Beat the eggs and cheese in a small bowl, then temper with the soup mixture. The original recipe didn't say to do this, but I thought that adding raw eggs to boiling liquid wouldn't end very well.



6. In a slow stream, stirring in a slow circle, add the egg mixture to the soup. Cook an additional 1-2 minutes for the egg to cook and enjoy!

For my first attempt at soup with an egg mixture, I must say it wasn't too bad. We will definitely be having this again in the cold months to come, but I might change a thing or two up.

Anyone else enjoying soup right now? I'm always looking for new soup recipes (except french onion soup of course!). Happy slurping!!

Kerby

Linking up to:
It's So Very Cheri - Party Time 
A Handful of Everything - Great Idea Thursdays #74 
A Night Owl - Monday Funday 

No comments:

Post a Comment