November 5, 2014

beef barley soup

Hi there. Today I wanted to share with you a dinner I made that was so good! It was the first time I had made beef barley soup, and I think the second time ever that I had barley. So it ended up a win for me!


  
I used two different recipes, merged them together and made my own take on the soup. I can't eat onions or garlic (think allergic), so I have to be creative to make sure that those flavours aren't missed.

The two recipes can be found here and here. But here is what I did:

Slow Cooker Beef Barley Soup                                                                    

2 cups baby carrots, sliced into medium pieces
6 celery stalks, sliced into medium pieces
2 cups mushrooms, sliced
1 can red kidney beans, rinsed
1 can kernel corn
1 can crushed tomatoes
1 lb stewing beef
3/4 cup pearl barley, uncooked
3 cups vegetable broth
3 cups chicken broth
salt & pepper to taste

1. Set slow cooker to high setting and add vegetables. Let sit for a few minutes, stir once or twice. Add beef and continue to sit.

2. Add beans, corn, broths, salt, pepper and tomatoes and stir. Once combined, add the uncooked barley and stir really well.

3. Cook on high for 2 1/2 hours, then turn to low for another 2 hours.

4. Let cool a little and enjoy with a nice piece or fresh bread.

Both the Hubby and I agree that we did not like the kidney beans and would probably switch them out for green beans or peas next time. But other than that, it was so good and perfect for the chilly weather we have been having!

Hopefully you guys are staying warm too! Has anyone else tried a new soup recipe? Any recommendations?

Kerby 

Linking to:  
A Handful of Lemons - Great Idea Thursday
It's So Very Cheri - Party Time 

No comments:

Post a Comment