October 12, 2011

Backyard #1

Hi all! You sick of me yet? I hope not!

I thought I would show you some pictures of our backyard from before we moved in, to what it looks like now. BIG difference! We just build a wood privacy fence this year, and that was a lot of work! And another post.

I figure I will show you over a few posts, that way they are not too long.

But first the before pictures.




You can see my itty-bitty deck, the overgrown trees and plants, and the overall lack of any landscaping. But we had vision, there was potential in this backyard.

You can also see that the neighbours had planted bushes along the fence line of their properties. You know what that equals - WEEDS! Yes, they don't see them, so they don't get rid of them. That means you spend 40 hours a year getting the weeds on the other side of the fence to keep them out of your yard!

The first real change we made was the deck. We ripped that little sucker out and put it near the gate to the backyard. Then we build ourselves a new deck.


You can see at the far end there my wonderful husband built me a raised flower box. Love that thing, gives so much more to the sitting area. Here are a few more pictures:



You can see above the little deck being used as a BBQ area. We just took the railing off. Then planted a garden beside it and filled it with hostas. It gave us a nice little area for cooking food that was away from the table. Nothing like getting smoke in your eyes while sitting outside.


You can see the flower box better here. I fill that full of petunia's and it looks great by the end of summer. Nice and full of flowery goodness!


Here is a better picture of the hosta garden from this year. It really filled out and I added some ferns to the mix:

Well that's all I am going to show you today of the backyard transformation. Even if I wanted to show you it all, I don't think blogger would let me!

Until next time!

K.

Linking to:

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the yard. I am your newest follower. Donna G.

    ReplyDelete